Thursday, December 23, 2010

‘Though I am blind, I cannot be intimidated’

Source : by Emmanuel Shebbs - 'The Nation'

How do you cope with your condition?

I have been visually impaired from birth. My parents really helped me. They saw the abilities in me and decided not to neglect me. I attended a primary school for the blind where I was taught how to make use of the Braille. When the lecturer is teaching in the class, I record what he/she is saying. I usually would listen, ask questions; then come home and make my notes, using the Braille. Though I am blind, I cannot bow to challenges.

You ran for Director of Socials at the just-concluded SUG elections. What motivated you?

I believe that leadership is the ability to sacrifice for others. Yes, I came out to contest for the Direct of Socials at SUG level because of the programme I have for our students. I passed through the screening processes where other aspirants who are visually fortunate could not succeed. Having gotten to this level, I asked again, what can I do for others? If I can do something for myself, I can do something for others.

Do you have further political ambitions?

I am presently representing my faculty, Education, in the SUG parliament. Big things start small. If you are able to represent a community, you can represent a society and you can be able to represent the nation.

Do you have any words for other challenged people?

Disability is not a limitation to one’s destiny. There is ability in disability. If one part of the body is deformed, that does not mean that all parts of the person are deformed. If God sees your seriousness for survival, He will strengthen you to function beyond expectation. Besides, disability or not, God gives everyone certain unique gifts to add value to the lives of others. Don’t be cowed in the midst of the seeming fortunate in the society. We are all humans; we all have rights to live in the society and contribute positively to it.

Please permit me to make this appeal to the government. I attended a conference for disabled people, recently, in Abuja. An appeal was raised that there should be a law for the disabled to participate in nation building. In most developed societies, the physically-challenged are in private and public offices. Franklin Roosevelt was the President of the United States; from the wheelchair. This is a good example of emancipation of the disabled. I want the National Assembly to pass the disabled bill. There should also be an orientation for the public against discrimination towards disabled people.

No comments: