Saturday, September 29, 2012

PARBIND SINGH, SALES SUPPORT EXECUTIVE, ASCENT INDIA


Parbind SinghI am Parbind Singh. I have done B.A in History. I am working with Ascent Consulting Services as a Sales Support Executive. I support the sales team at my office. My job is something similar to telecaller. I make calls to other companies and enquire whether they would like to get services like payroll, HR etc. I am part of a team which is responsible to bring in new clients to our company.
To get this job I faced a lot of challenges: When I came to Bangalore I felt alone. That was the first time I stayed in a new place without my family. Language was a big barrier. I could not speak a single sentence in English. On top of it, I could not move around without anybody’s help. Food too was a challenge; I could not adjust to south Indian food. I somehow bore all these problems.
However, when I saw computer for the first time, I was frightened. I heard computer talking! I could not understand a single word. I thought computer was talking in an alien language, not English. I took some time to get used to the new environment. Nevertheless, I have stayed back. If I had not continued with my training at EnAble India, I would have missed many things. Here I learnt how to ask, where to ask, what to ask, what not to ask, and when to ask. I have nurtured the skill of asking questions and made it into an attitude. In fact, I believe that my attitude of asking questions has helped me to learn a lot. Time management, controlling one's self, work ethics, mobility, English communication, computers, social interaction, networking with persons with disability [before coming to Bangalore I did not know about persons with disability as I studied with sighted people] are some of the things that I have learnt at EnAble India. I enjoyed learning very much at EnAble India.
I still carry good memories of the training at EnAble India. Now after being trained at EnAble India I can speak in English; I can go alone anywhere; I can do anything that I want to. Moreover, I am confident about myself. I can say I am an Enabled Indian. I see learning as a continuous process. I ask questions and learn. I am grateful to EnAble India for giving me a good start. I seek sighted help only to learn how to do a particular job, I don’t depend on them to work. I still have to work on my English. I know it is a challenge but as an Enabled person I can face it!

No comments: